Monday, December 20, 2010

This blog is about a dream - writing a novel

In a span of about 50 years, I have read thousands  of books. I admired the authors for their ability to create their stories. I wanted so very much to follow in their footsteps. I promised myself that if one day an idea would come, I would do just that, despite my limitations. My vocabulary limited, my grammar atrocious, I would need someone to help me.  I don't think I can call myself a writer, maybe a good story teller.
One day in June 2005,  speaking with the director of the Art and Natural History museum in San Diego about proposed groups to the Holy Land (I owned a travel agency), he told me about the Copper Scrolls. Although I regard myself as an avid reader and history maven , I had never heard of the Copper Scrolls before. He suggested I should read the book "The Treasures of the Copper Scrolls," by Prof. John Marco Allegro of Oxford. It took some efforts to find this 1960's edition, but I finally managed.   http://faculty.biu.ac.il/~barilm/copertx2.html when they were unfurled, they hinted at a huge treasure taken from the 2nd Temple of Jerusalem before it was destroyed by the Romans in 70AD. It was  buried all over Judea and Samaria, in 64 different locations. When calculated it came to somewhere between 270 and 300 tons of gold, silver and precious stones. Problem was that the places mentioned on the scrolls couldn't be identified.
Two months later the Israeli Prime Minister, Ariel Sharon announced the disengagement plan from Gaza. Hinting he was also ready to relinquish the control of the West Bank also known by the Israelis as Judea and Samaria to the Palestinians. There was genuine fear the West Bank settlers would rise and violently oppose  those actions. Aside from some sporadic events, there was no violent, but then an idea flashed through my mind. What if ?

No comments:

Post a Comment